Thursday, January 8, 2009

Kitty-Litter Cake






A few weeks back I was asked to shoot a job for Digitas Health for a product that helps with dry mouth. (They have drugs for everything!) The idea was to create a piece of cake that just by looking at it would make your mouth DRY.  The A.D. came to me and asked if I had any ideas as to how to achieve this.  He knew or thought the cake should be made of sand.  
I knew that it required a great prop?  SO I called my food stylist & chef exstrodinaire - Iris Richardson.  I use prop stylists as well but thought Iris would be a better choice as we were still creating a piece of "food".  Iris & I have been working together for years on food ads, menus & cook books.  So here was our first assignment together that we had to make something look like food but look un-editable.  She made a bunch of different cakes made of sand.  In person they looked - dry.  But once in front of the lens the sand took on the essence of sugar.  And they all started to look- editable.  We showed the client and brainstormed more ideas as how to make it look drier. 

SO back to the studio Iris went and thats when the proverbial light went off in her head.  Actually it was her cat using its kitty-litter box!  She decided to make the cake out of kitty-litter!  And that was the winner!  The Kitty-Litter Cake. 


No comments: